Today my host institution arranged for a visit to participate in the Japanese Tea Ceremony, called Sadou 「茶道」. Some students from first year was there as well, and it was also their first time. I guess while it's a unique aspect of the culture, it's not as common as I thought since it was also my Japanese teacher's first time as well. Even in our beginner's version it feels like there was a lot of steps to run though, and each little step has some significance that relates to the ceremony as a whole. 

We had to sit in "seiza", a traditional kneeling/sitting posture which I haven't done since my kendo days.  We were sitting that way for so long that I literally couldn't move my legs to get up again..  Luckily I wasn't the only one so it wasn't like everyone got up and left with me still sitting there like an idiot!

Although it's quite late into my study abroad experience, I'll be posting here anyway in the event that I somehow lose the hard copies of all my photos!

Article written by AUTHOR_NAME

WRITE_ABOUT_YOURSELF

0 comments: