A lot of people have asked me if things are okay here in Sapporo since I came after the earthquake. Before I arrived in Sapporo, I was following the whole Fukushima incident pretty closely. As far as I can tell, everyday life here is "normal". There is occasional coverage on the news that mostly focuses on the recovery effort but oddly I haven't seen anything on Fukushima yet. A minute of silence was held during the Yosakoi festival to commemorate those affected by the earthquake. There's also posters around the city with words like がんばろう日本!I guess that roughly translates to something like "Let's do our best, Japan!".

According to google, Sapporo is about 600km away from Fukushima and there is a government site with updates about the levels of radiation in and around Hokkaido. As far as I can tell there hasn't been any cause for immediate alarm yet.

At any rate I don't regret my decision to continue on with the exchange trip. It's been an amazing experience so far and I've met a lot of wonderful people.

Article written by AUTHOR_NAME

WRITE_ABOUT_YOURSELF

0 comments: